- Provide the opportunity for children to participate in a quality multisport experience with a physical literacy focus.
- Strengthen the mandate of community sport organizations in alignment with Sport for Life.
- Reduce barriers of participation in a quality sport program.
- Educate the community on the importance of physical literacy and long term athlete development.
- Collectively build healthier communities through sport, with a focus on being Active for Life.
- Create a measurable impact through evaluation and assessment.
The program will run for 3.5 months (March 2017 to June 2017) with a maximum of 30 children who are enrolled in grade two or three for the upcoming school year. Sessions will run twice a week for an hour each. The total cost of the entire program is $150, with payment options available, as well as access to PRO Kids funding through our Municipal Recreation Department.
Each lesson focuses on skill development through physical literacy and fun, setting the ground work for a love of sport and an ‘I can play anything!’ attitude. Physical literacy comes from developing a wide variety of fundamental movement skills such as running, throwing, catching and jumping. To develop these skills, our kids need to play different sport and activities from an early age – it’s a win-win!
All sessions will be facilitated by recreation program coordinators and delivered by volunteer community sport organizations.
Children will participate in and develop key fundamental movements skills in swimming, tae kwon do, run jump throw wheel, gymnastics, fencing, triathlon, football and soccer.
Athletic equipment will be provided by each community sport organization. Children simply need to show up with sneakers and comfy clothing during gym times, and a bathing suit during pool times.
All sessions will take place at HB Studios Sports Centre, Bridgewater Tae Kwon Do, Athletics Gymnastics Academy and Lunenburg County Lifestyle Centre pool with consistent days and times throughout the program – see below for program calendar: